Tuesday, August 7, 2018

One Foot, Two Foot, My Foot, Thai Foot


If you have issues with feet, you’re not alone, so does the entire country of Thailand.

The primary religion of the country is Buddhism and as a nation Thailand is unapologetically devout. The monarchy has a history of its kings spending time as novice monks; Rama IV (who ruled from 1851-1868) spent nearly 30 years as a monk before he ascended to the throne. Among the general population it is customary for boys over the age of 12 to spend time as novice monks. The coach and all but one of the boys from the soccer... sorry... the football team that was rescued just completed a week as novitiate monks to honor the Thai Navy SEAL who died aiding their rescue. 

As of today I’ve been in Thailand for over a week and I’ve never been more than a 15 minute walk from a temple or shrine. At this very moment I can see The White Buddha of Wat Phra That Mae Yen from the patio of my hostel. (I can also hear Single Ladies blaring from the kitchens; whether that adds or subtracts from the spiritual reflection is up to you)

“Mandy. This is interesting and all, but you were talking about feet...focus”  I’m getting there, Geesh! 

It is considered very disrespectful to wear shoes inside a Buddhist temple, any google search will tell you this.  Your feet are considered to be the lowest, dirtiest part of a person; pointing your sole at another person or at an image of the buddha is essentially giving them a big ‘ole middle finger. (Seeing my first person flash a sole in a traffic jam was a pretty interesting sight, let me tell you***) At the smaller temples we’ve visited there will just be a sign telling to you take your shoes off. At the more significant temples, such as the temple of the emerald Buddha (the most holy place in Thailand) there are guards checking that you’re dressed appropriately and not wearing shoes. (Temple dress code: no tight clothing, no holes in your pants, no exposed midriffs, no low necklines, and your shoulders and knees must be covered. No shoes! No exceptions.) I’ve never spent so much time barefoot in public. I used to worry about someone stealing my shoes, but then I realized that no Thai person is going to fit into my big-ass shoes! 

After days of walking all over Bangkok and Chaing Mai, and a full 6 hours of hiking around a botanical garden I decided to treat myself to a foot massage. (In Chaing Mai you’ll see a massage parlor as often as you’d see a Dollar General back home.) For an hour long “Reflexology Thai foot massage” I paid the equivalent of $6.00; I figured even a bad foot massage is worth $6.00 if it lasts for an hour!

My friend and I walked into a perfectly normal looking massage parlor. A perfectly friendly woman greats us and led us upstairs. We walked into the room where our massages were to take place and there were 6 cots on the ground with a curtain around each one. There were already 3 people in the room in the process of being massaged. The woman directed me to a cot, gave me a pillow and asked me to lay down. Not wanting to be a rabble-rouser I did as she asked. These are just a few of the things I thought in the 15 minutes I waited for my massage to begin: 

“This.... was unexpected. I might have made a mistake. I probably should have read what a Thai massage was before I paid for one.”

“If I was gonna design a room to harvest people’s organs it would probably look like this”

“Laying down for a foot massage... that’s normal, right?
Then the masseur came in he was carrying what can only be described as a tool bag that made metal clinking noises when he set it down.

“Ooookaaaaayy..... I’m not sure what all of those are for. What is he going to do down there? This was a massage right? ARE my organs going to get harvested?! WHAT IF THEY’RE PUMPING GAS THROUGH THE A/C TO KNOCK US OUT AND I ACTUALLY GET MY ORGANS HARVESTED?!?!” .... “ okay. No more watching Criminal Minds.”

The foot massage was actually more of a leg AND foot massage, which began a whole new spiraling chain of thoughts: 

“I wish I’d have remembered to shave my legs since I’ve been in Thailand...”

“Oh go! I’ve been hiking all day and my feet are so dirty! I have regrets!”

“OH MY GOD! My toe is all purple and pealing from the wart shot I got before I left! What have I done to this man?!”

About this time the leg massage was really getting going. I’m pretty sure dude was using his elbows to work my calves and I don’t even care. It hurt SO GOOD!

All-in-all I spent about 5 of my 60 minutes trying to figure out where to look, another 20 worrying about the fact that I have the feet of a cave troll and the rest was quite enjoyable. That being said... I’ve never been so glad not to know Thai; giving my dude the freedom to talk about my hobbit feet with the other masseurs in the room was the least I could do. 



***That was totally a lie. I just wanted to see if you’d believe me. I’ve never seen a Thai person wave a foot around in a traffic jam, be reasonable!


No comments:

Post a Comment